Schools funding

Erasmus+ is the European Union programme for education, training, youth and sport, which runs from 2014 to 2020. Through Erasmus+, UK schools can access funding for life-changing international activities:

  • Students can take part in international exchanges and study experiences: to develop new skills, raise their aspirations and gain vital international experience
  • Staff can teach, train or job shadow abroad: to develop their professional practice, build relationships with international peers and gain fresh ideas
  • Schools can collaborate with international partners: to drive innovation, share best practice, and offer new opportunities to young people.

To find out more about the international opportunities and funding available for UK schools under the 2020 Call, watch this recorded webinar.

Who can apply?

Funding is open to UK schools and colleges providing general, vocational or technical education to students aged 3 – 18 years. Local and regional authorities, school coordination bodies and consortia can also apply. Please read our eligibility criteria for more information.

Available funding

In 2020, €41.8m in funding is proposed for UK schools. You can apply for one or more of the following activities. These activities are 'decentralised', which means you apply to the Erasmus+ UK National Agency via this website:

  • School Education Staff Mobility (Key Action 101): Professional development opportunities for staff, including teaching, training and job-shadowing abroad
  • School Exchange Partnerships (Key Action 229): International pupil exchanges and study experiences, plus staff training and teaching assignments overseas
  • Strategic Partnerships for School Education (Key Action 201): Collaborative projects with international partners to improve education provision and share innovative practices
  • Cross-sector Partnerships (Key Action 2): Working with partners from the higher education, vocational education and training, school, adult education and youth sectors to improve provision for students and young people

You can also apply for the following 'centralised' funding activity, via the European Commission's Education Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency:

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this activity, please contact the British Council by email or telephone on 0161 957 7755.