Study abroad

Erasmus+ provides students in higher education with the opportunity to study abroad in Europe for three to 12 months (per university cycle) as part of their degree. You can take part in study mobility at any time during your degree (except during the first year) although it will depend on the structure of your degree and the arrangements your university has with its partners. Students can also work abroad in an Erasmus+ traineeship.

Can I take part?

  • you are registered at a university or college that holds an Erasmus Charter for Higher Education;
  • you are carrying out higher education studies leading to a recognised degree (or other recognised tertiary level qualification) up to and including the level of doctorate;
  • you could be enrolled in a short-term higher vocational education course, which includes foundation degree courses, or a part-time student (providing you study full-time during your period abroad);
  • you can be studying anything from art to zoology as students from all academic disciplines can participate.

Where can I go?

You can study in a partner institution of your UK home institution. This could be located in any of the other 32 participating countries with whom they have an agreement. Some students may be able to travel further afield if their university has applied for funding for International Credit Mobility.


Eligible students receive an Erasmus+ grant provided by the European Commission - this is paid through your institution. This grant contributes towards the extra costs that you may encounter from studying abroad. For 2018/19 the grant can be up to €300 to €350 a month, depending on the country you visit.

For students eligible for the various higher education widening participation premiums there is a monthly supplement of €120.

Visit our 2018-2019 HE grant rat page for more information.

Students with a severe disability or exceptional special needs may be entitled to extra funding to cover associated costs while abroad but you must apply for this before departure. All students should discuss the details with their home institution.

Tuition fee contribution

UK students going abroad for the whole academic year may also qualify for a large contribution made towards your UK tuition fees for the year you are away. This varies across the UK countries, so please check with your Erasmus+ or International Office for further details.

How do I take part?

Applications are made through your UK home institution, usually the year before you want to take part. Please talk to your Erasmus+ or International office for more details.