Work abroad

Students in both higher education and vocational education and training can benefit from the opportunities offered by Erasmus+ to gain work experience in another country. Staff in education, training and youth organisations can also undertake work shadowing, teaching or training activities abroad - read our teach or train abroad page for more information. Applications, however, can not be made by individuals; your school, organisation or institution must apply for funding.

Higher education students

Erasmus+ offers UK undergraduate and postgraduate students in higher education the opportunity to work abroad in a European enterprise for two to 12 months as part of their degree. It provides students with an unrivalled opportunity to gain international work experience, increase their cultural awareness and enhance their employability. Students can also study abroad with Erasmus+.

Can I take part?

  • you are registered at a university or college that holds an Erasmus Charter for Higher Education;
  • you are carrying out higher education studies leading to a recognised degree (or other recognised tertiary level qualification) up to and including the level of doctorate;
  • you may have recently graduated (within a maximum of one year after graduation);
  • you could be enrolled in a short-term higher vocational education course, which includes foundation degree courses, or a part-time student;
  • you can be studying anything from art to zoology as students from all academic disciplines can take part.

Where can I go?

Students can work in any of the participating countries. Some students may be able to travel further afield if their university has applied for funding for International Credit Mobility.

Students can carry out a traineeship in a wide variety of organisations, although EU institutions and other bodies, including specialised agencies, and organisations managing EU programmes, such as Erasmus+ National Agencies, are excluded.

Check out the Erasmus Student Network's website ErasmusIntern which provides an integrated market place to bring together traineeship providers and students seeking a training opportunity abroad. 


Eligible higher education students may receive an Erasmus+ grant provided by the European Commission which is paid through your institution. This grant contributes towards the extra costs you may encounter from working abroad. For 2018/19 the grant can be up to €400 to €450 a month, depending on the country you visit. For students eligible for the various higher education widening participation premiums there is a monthly supplement of €20.

Visit our 2018-19 HE grant rate page for more information.

Students with a severe disability or exceptional special needs may be entitled to extra funding to cover associated costs while abroad, but you must apply for this before departure. All students should discuss the details with their home institution.

Tuition fee contribution

UK students going abroad for the whole academic year may also qualify for a large contribution made towards their UK tuition fees. As this varies across the UK countries, please check with your Erasmus+ or International Office for further details.

How do I take part?

Applications are made through your UK home institution. Please talk to your Erasmus+or International Office for more details. Students often have to apply the year before they want to take part.

Vocational education and training students

Apprentices and students in vocational education training (VET) schools can go abroad to carry out a vocational training placement in another country. Learners can spend time in a work place to gain real life experience or at a VET school where they will also spend time in industry or with another relevant organisation or enterprise. Each project can last either one or two years and your organisation can apply for funding to support your traineeship. The duration of the placement can be between two weeks and 12 months, allowing you to gain a unique experience abroad. An example of a potential placement includes engineering apprentices going to a specialist technical college in Germany to learn innovative approaches and skills which they can use when they return home and will look fantastic on their CV.

Can I take part?

  • you are an apprentice or student in a vocational training school;
  • you  are a former apprentice or have recently graduated from a VET school or company providing VET to apprentices (within a maximum of one year after graduation);
  • you could be enrolled in a part-time vocational education course, which includes foundation degree courses, or a full-time apprenticeship;
  • you do not have to be 18 or over to take part.

Where can I go?

Students can work in any of the other 32 participating countries

Students can carry out a traineeship in a wide variety of organisations, although EU bodies, including specialised agencies, EU Higher Education Institutions and organisations managing EU programmes (such as National Agencies) are excluded.


Erasmus+ funding is given to your sending organisation and is a contribution to the overall project costs. Funding for participants can include support towards travel and subsistence costs. Your sending organisation may also receive funding to support activities such as language and intercultural preparation for participants, special needs support for participants with disabilities and exceptional costs to support the participation of learners with fewer opportunities.

How do I take part?

UK VET organisations must apply for funding to run their mobility, partnership or other projects each year. Apprentices and students should contact the relevant organiser in their school or college.